Volunteer Work in Ecotourism in Patagonia
- Quick facts
- Program details
- costs and services
Cultural and tourist center
Valle del Rio Puelo, Cochamó, Patagonia.
The Cochamó region is located more than 1,000 km south of Santiago de Chile and is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt areas in Chile.
- Extending and maintaining hiking trails
- Assisting in the sale of handicrafts
- Event planning / creating ideas for the development of sustainable tourism
- Working in agriculture
- Cutting/preparing firewood
- Repairing and installing fences
- Storing food for the animals
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
About 30 – 40 hours / week
All year round, start and end dates are flexible. In the winter months between May and the end of September, the weather is very cold and rainy, therefore there are almost no tourists on site. For non-weather-resistant participants, the best time to participate is between the beginning of October and the end of April.
Minimum 4 weeks, máximum 6 months
Single or shared room with local host family or shared room in guest house. Accommodation in the tent may be required during the summer months (January - March).
(Important: Please bring your sleeping back!)
Internet is only available via the mobile phone. The reception is not stable everywhere.
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Volunteering in untouched nature
- Cultural exchange with local people
- Experience life in Patagonia first-hand
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking in-country support through our office in Santiago de Chile
This volunteer project is located in the idyllic region of the Rio Puelo in northern Patagonia and is dedicated to nature conservation, sustainable tourism, and environmental education.
The whole region is part of this project and comes together in the form of various tourism stakeholders and farmers. Tourism activities are offered on a sustainable basis while food is grown and marketed organically.
The area is a dream location for outdoor enthusiasts and perfect for activities like kayaking, climbing, hiking, horseback riding, bird watching and other outdoor activities. In order to give tips and to offer tours the community has set up a small tourist center to help tourists get to know this fascinating region better.
In addition, self-made crafts are offered for sale here. Depending on your talent and interest, you can participate in one of the tasks or try each one out, of course, in coordination with the project supervisors and according to their needs.
Attention, this project is not for city people. The nearest cities Puerto Varas and Puerto Montt are each about three hours drive away and can therefore only be visited on days off.
The program includes:
- Single or shared room with local host family (sleeping in a tent may be required during high season)
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 4 weeks
each additional week
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: