Volunteer Work in a Cat Shelter
- Quick facts
- Program Details
- costs and services
Rescue Center for Street Cats
Santiago de Chile
- Caring of the cats (combing, stroking, etc.)
- Feeding the cats
- Cleaning the blankets and cat beds
- Cleaning and maintaining the facilities
- Washing feeding bowls
- Cleaning litter boxes
- Administrative tasks
- Accompanying veterinary treatments (not possible for all volunteers)
- Helping with adoption processing
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
Between 30 and 40 hours / week. Half-day positions are available in conjunction with a Spanish course.
Year round, start and end dates are flexible
Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
The accommodation takes place in a homestay. This means you will live in a private household where one or more rooms are rented. Accommodation hosts are individual persons (e.g. señoras, young professionals), couples, families or students. You will have a single room with access to the common areas. Internet is included. All our accommodations are in safe neighborhoods with good connection to local transportation. Half-board can also be booked.
(Note: Only valid for Volunteer Work Premium, which includes the accommodation.)
Our homestays are equipped with internet connection (wifi).
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency..
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking support through our office in Santiago de Chile
- Escort to the volunteer project on the first day (only in Santiago)
- Orientation session in our office in Santiago de Chile
Once you arrive in Chile and especially in the state capital of Santiago, you notice a sad fact pretty quickly: Masses of dogs and cats live here abandoned and in some cases very bad condition on the streets.
A few rescue centers try to improve this situation. This includes our partner project, The Cat House, which was opened in 2010 in Santiago.
The purpose of this volunteer project is to give shelter and love to the cats, to care for them, to pimp them and to treat them medically. The aim is to find loving people to adopt these cats. At the shelter, the cats get food, water, vaccine, medical treatment and socialization programs. The animal welfare organization relies on donations and welcomes every volunteer with open arms, as helping hands are often rare.
Voluntary Work Basic includes:
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 2 weeks
each additional week
Voluntary Work Premium includes additionally:
Placement fee + accommodation + airport pick-up
minimum stay 2 weeks
each additional week
(only in conjunction with a Spanish course)
minimum stay 4 weeks
Note: The project requires a donation of CLP 25.000 (ca. US$ 35) that has to be paid directly on-site to the project.
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: