Volunteer Work in a Dog Shelter
- Quick facts
- Program Details
- Costs and Services
Casablanca (about 1 hour west of Santiago de Chile) is located in the middle of a wine-growing region halfway between the capital Santiago de Chile and the famous port city of Valparaíso.
- Caring of the dogs (washing, combing, etc.)
- Feeding the dogs
- Playing with the dogs
- Bringing dogs to the freewheel area
- Supporting the training and rehabilitation of the dogs
- Helping with adoption processing
- Cleaning cages, canils, freewheel areas, other facilities
- Other tasks related to the well-being of dogs
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
Between 30 and 40 hours / week. Shift work on weekends possible with days off during the week as compensation.
Year round, start and end dates are flexible
Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 6 months
Single room in a local homestay
Full-board (3 meals/day)
All our homestays have Internet access (Wifi) available.
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking in-country support
- Lovely project location within a wine valley
- Intercultural orientation in our office in Santiago de Chile
This project is looking for volunteers with a heart and a good knack for dogs! It is a refuge and rehabilitation center for dogs that have lived on the street or have been rescued from private households due to non-species-appropriate attitude. With the big earthquake, which shook Chile in 2010, the problem of stray dogs in Chile's central region has become even bigger than it already was. The founder of the dog shelter then began to bring the animals to Casablanca and now the dog refuge center cares for about 120 doggies.
In addition to dog rescue and training, the rehabilitation center is dedicated to the care of the often sick or injured animals. In the own small vet station, the local staff administer vaccines and treats injuries or illnesses. The aim of the dog home is the emotional and physical rehabilitation of the animals and finally their adoption by responsible people.
In addition, the dog shelter also opens its doors to people who, for financial reasons, cannot have their dogs treated with a veterinary. So, the own vet station offers them treatments, vaccinations and sterilizations free of charge or at a very low price - and hence contributes efficiently that not so many dogs end up on the streets.
You do not need any special experience to do this volunteer service at the dog shelter. Of course, you should like dogs and not be afraid of them, as well as bring a high degree of sense of responsibility, be able to grab tight and bring in patience and joy in the team.
The Program includes:
- Single room in a local homestay
- Full-board (3 meals/day)
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 4 weeks
each additional week
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: