Volunteer Work with Disabled People
- Quick facts
- Program details
- costs and services
Homes or centers for children / adults with different types of disabilities
Santiago de Chile
Depending on the placement, tasks may be:
- Supporting the nursing staff
- Supervising and entertaining the disabled
- Supporting creative activities such as crafting, painting, knittin
- Assisting with workshops
- Assisting with therapy sessions
- Giving care and attention
- Doing development-promoting activities such as speaking, moving, etc.
- Helping during mealtimes
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
Between 30 and 40 hours / week.
Year round, start and end dates are flexible
Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 6 months
The accommodation takes place in a homestay. This means you will live in a private household where one or more rooms are rented. Accommodation hosts are individual persons (e.g. señoras, young professionals), couples, families or students. You will have a single room with access to the common areas. Internet is included. All our accommodations are in safe neigborhoods with good connection to local transportation. Half-board can also be booked.
(Note: Only valid for Volunteer Work Premium, which includes the accommodation placement.)
Our homestays are equipped with internet connection (wifi).
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking support through our office in Santiago de Chile
- Escort to the volunteer project on the first day (only in Santiago)
- Orientation session in our office in Santiago de Chile
Having a disability or looking after a family member with a disability is a great challenge. In Chile, where there is very little support and people, if they find support, often incur huge costs, this is even more difficult.
The health care system does not provide much help, and therefore charitable organizations often step in to improve people's quality of life and promote their physical and mental development.
Chile Inside works with several homes and other centers for people with disabilities. These institutions provide care for the disabled and give support to their family members. As a volunteer, you will contribute to people who are often given too little respect. If you feel like using your social vocation, where it is really needed and developing your intercultural skills, then these volunteer projects are a perfect fit.
You will be helping in a center for people with disabilities, specifically addressing the physical and mental needs of those affected. You will be able to engage in various fields to help the disabled to discover and develop their talents and abilities in workshops, occupational therapies and courses. Supervision and care at fun activities is also an important task to ensure well-being and safety.
You do not need to have any prior knowledge in this area, but you should definitely bring patience, a sense of responsibility and empathy.
Once you have been successfully placed in a volunteer work, we will send you the program description. So, you will know exactly where you will be volunteering before your departure to Chile.
Volunteer Work Basic:
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 1 month
each additional month
Volunteer Work Premium includes additionally:
minimum stay 1 month
each additional month
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: