Volunteer Work with Stray Dogs and Cats
- Quick facts
- Program details
- costs and services
Rescue center for stray dogs and cats
Santiago de Chile
- Caring of the dogs (bathing, combing, guiding the dog)
- Feeding the animals
- Feeding weak or young animals (puppies, kittens) with the bottle
- Cleaning the facilities
- Administering medication, and assisting with sterilization
- Accompanying rescue operations, where animals are taken off the street
- Distributing food to animals living on the street
- Public relations and education as well as maintenance of the organization's internet presence
- Helping with adoption campaigns
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
Between 30 and 40 hours / week. Half-day positions are available in conjunction with a Spanish course.
Year round, start and end dates are flexible
Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
The accommodation takes place in a homestay. This means you will live in a private household where one or more rooms are rented. Accommodation hosts are individual persons (e.g. señoras, young professionals), couples, families or students. You will have a single room with access to the common areas. Internet is included. All our accommodations are in safe neigborhoods with good connection to local transportation. Half-board can also be booked.
(Note: Only valid for Volunteer Work Premium, which includes the accommodation placement.)
Our homestays are equipped with internet connection (wifi).
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking support through our office in Santiago de Chile
- Escort to the volunteer project on the first day (only in Santiago)
- Orientation session in our office in Santiago de Chile
Unfortunately, the streetscape of Chile's capital Santiago (and many other cities) is influenced by stray dogs and cats. These animals are bound to be true survivors, as you can see from the fact that they have learned to wait side by side with the pedestrians in front of the traffic light and then walk across the street in the shade of the crowd! But many survive more bad than good: By the food from the garbage, untreated illnesses and injuries the health condition of these animals is often miserable.
Fortunately, there are people with a big heart for animals who are committed to their protection. In our partner organization in Santiago, local volunteers work alongside volunteers from all over the world to improve the situation of animals on the streets. The goal is always to care for the dogs and cats so far that they find a new home with loving owners.
If you love animals and want to help improve the lives of dogs and cats in Santiago, then this project is for you. Combine your passion for animals with a good deed!
Volunteer Work Basic includes:
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 2 weeks
each additional month
Volunteer Work Premium includes additionally:
minimum stay 2 weeks
each additional month
only in conjunction with a Spanish course
minimum stay in month
Note: The project requires a donation of CLP 50.000 (ca. US$ 70) that has to be paid directly on-site to the project in cash or by means of food for the animals.
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: