Volunteer Work with Smallholders in Patagonia
- Quick facts
- Program details
- costs and services
Small family farms
Rio Puelo, Cochamó, Patagonia.
The Cochamó region is located more than 1,000 km south of Santiago de Chile and is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt areas in Chile.
- Helping with any kind of farm work
- Feeding and caring for the animals
- Doing the harvest
- Working in the garden and on the fields
- Planting the orchard
- Helping in the household (cook, bake fresh bread, cut fruit, etc.)
- Looking after children of the family (if applicable)
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
About 30 - 40 hours / week
All year round, start and end dates are flexible. In the winter months between May and late September, the weather is very cold, rainy, sometimes with snowfall. For non-weather-resistant participants, the best time to participate is between the beginning of October and the end of April.
Minimum 2 weeks, maximum 6 months
Single room with local host family
Full-board (3 meals/day)
Internet is only available via the mobile phone. The reception is not stable everywhere.
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Volunteering in untouched nature
- Cultural exchange with local people
- Experience how it is living in Patagonia first hand
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking in-country support through our office in Santiago de Chile
You love nature and enjoy being outdoors? You feel like escaping civilization for a while is exactly your thing? You are animal-loving and can muck in well? Then this volunteer work in southern Chile is just the thing for you.
Our program places are located about 6 hours southeast of the city of Puerto Montt in the mountains at the Argentinean border. It is an association of various small farmers in the region. Most of them specialize in animal husbandry, vegetable or fruit growing.
The farms are located in the midst of a beautiful, unspoiled landscape, away from the noise and polluted air of the cities. You will become part of the team here and get unique insights into the work and life of a typical Chilean small farm. You will also get to know the Chilean mentality and culture first-hand and you can share your own culture with the locals. Due to the remoteness of this area, the families are always very happy about the collaboration of foreign volunteers, not only because of the helping hands, but also because of the cultural exchange.
The everyday life on the farms in southern Chile can be hard as well as rough and lonely, especially in winter, when the cold temperatures and weather conditions make the work and life more difficult.
Because of their remote locations without road connections and usually without cell phone reception, the farms are interdependent and dependent on the help of their neighbors. The result is a friendly community that supports each other in a variety of ways. This concept is not rare in Chile and a great way to be independent of external products and goods.
In addition to your work, you have the opportunity to explore the beautiful surroundings. The area is a dream for outdoor enthusiasts and perfect for activities like kayaking, climbing, hiking, horseback riding, bird watching and other outdoor activities.
Attention, this project is not for city people. The nearest cities Puerto Varas and Puerto Montt are each several hours drive away.
The program includes:
- Single room with local host family
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 2 weeks
each additional week
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: