Volunteer Work with the Homeless
- Quick facts
- Program Details
- Costs and Services
Suppenküchen, Obdachlosenheime, Betreuungszentren für Obdachlose
Santiago de Chile, Valparaíso
Abhängig von Programmstelle, mögliche Aufgaben:
- Creating / updating databases to record the current living conditions of the homeless
- Registering those in need, together with their background to better care within the project
- Accompanying social workers on tour
- Making first contact with the homeless
- Developing own ideas to satisfy the needs of the homeless
- Helping with the delivery of meals
- Giving education in health care and hygiene
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
Between 30 and 40 hours / week, depending on the volunteer place. Half-day positions are available in conjunction with a Spanish course.
Year round, start and end dates are flexible
Minimum 4 weeks, maximum 6 months
The accommodation takes place in a homestay. This means you will live in a private household where one or more rooms are rented. Accommodation hosts are individual persons (e.g. señoras, young professionals), couples, families or students. You will have a single room with access to the common areas. Internet is included. All our accommodations are in safe neigborhoods with good connection to local transportation. Half-board can also be booked.
(Note: Only valid for Volunteer Work Premium, which includes the accommodation placement.)
Our homestays are equipped with internet connection (wifi).
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 12 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking support through our office in Santiago de Chile
- Escort to the volunteer project on the first day (only in Santiago)
- Orientation session in our office in Santiago de Chile
Chile is a prosperous, well-developed country. This is particularly evident in the capital Santiago. Glittering nightlife, office towers and chic apartment complexes tell the story of the economic rise.
Unfortunately, Chile is also a country where prosperity is extremely unevenly distributed. Certain streets divide the capital in poor and rich in advanced and retarded, in successful and detached. Anyone who lives on the dark side of the glittering world, hardly gets a chance to get out there again.
Above all, this affects a large number of homeless people who live on the streets of big cities, including many older people who are affected by old-age poverty. For many seniors, the street is the last home. Non-profit organizations have tackled this problem by running homeless shelters, soup kitchens, or homeless counseling centers. Here, people get shelter, a safe place, medical care, meals, and spiritual support.
To do this volunteer work in Chile, you do not need to have any prior knowledge. However, you should be able to work dutifully and independently as well as deal well with people and be empathetic. At the same time, you should not be too sensitive and be aware that you could experience extreme situations and see circumstances that you find difficult to imagine.
Nevertheless, or because of that, working with the homeless is very enriching. You will learn to see the person behind the facade, perhaps you will become more understanding and also realize how well you have done so far.
Once you have been successfully placed in a volunteer work, we will send you the program description. So, you will know exactly where you will be volunteering before your departure to Chile.
Volunteer Work Basic:
- Competent English-speaking advice
- Translation of the application documents and your CV in Spanish
- Organization of your volunteer work in Chile
- Program confirmation for the visa application (if necessary)
- English-speaking in-country support
- Useful information about your stay in Chile
- Handbook Chile
- Our collection of "Insider Tips" for your stay in Chile
- Informative welcome talk in our office in Santiago
- You will be accompanied to your volunteer place on the first day (only possible in Santiago)
- Certificate of participation from Chile Inside
- 24/7 emergency number
minimum stay 1 month
each addotional month
Volunteer Work Premium includes additionally:
minimum stay 1 month
each additional month
only in conjunction with a Spanish course
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: