Volunteer Work at a Montessori School
- Quick facts
- Program Details
- Costs and Services
Curacaví, central region of Chile.
Curacaví is a small town nestled between hills and valleys in the province of Melipilla. It is about the same distance to the beautiful Pacific coast as to the metropolis of Santiago de Chile. Curacaví is approximately 90 minutes from Chile's capital. The climate is Mediterranean with a prolonged dry season and high summer temperatures from October to March. In winter, temperatures drop and there is occasional rain.
Your tasks are all about shaping and enriching the children's everyday school life. The intercultural exchange with teachers, children and families is very important. As a volunteer, you should be proactively involved in school and community life.
The areas of responsibility include:
- Assisting the English teacher
- Tutoring for children in English
- Support in the daily teaching program
- Project assignments during school hours
- Participation in permaculture, which is an important part of the school's philosophy
- Supervising and participating in children's free play
- Supervising and participating during mealtimes
- Playing with the children, making music, dancing, painting and handicrafts
- Welcoming and saying goodbye to children at school
- Helping with homework help
- Outdoor activities (permaculture, games)
- Promoting the development of children with meaningful activities
You are expected to show a great deal of responsibility and conscientiousness when volunteering at a school in Chile. Be aware of your important role as a role model for the children and always take your volunteer work seriously.
(We would like to point out that the tasks may vary and depend on factors such as the number of volunteers, weather, season, current needs of the project, and self-motivation. Volunteers may not be fully involved in all the tasks mentioned above.)
The working schedule is approximately 37 hours per week from Monday to Friday. Normally, there is a school event for parents and children on one Saturday per month.
Flexible start and end dates between beginning of March and end of November
Minimum 6 weeks
Single room in a local homestay
All our homestays have Internet access (Wifi) available.
Our English-speaking team in the Chile Inside office in Santiago de Chile is always there for you.
24/7 Emergency Number
With the booking confirmation you will receive our 24-hour emergency number, under which you can reach us 24/7 in case of emergency.
Please send us your detailed CV with photo and the completed registration form. For more information on the registration process, please see the instructions on the first page of the registration form or contact one of our experienced staff members.
There are no application deadlines. We recommend submitting the documents as early as possible, at least 6 weeks before the desired start of the program, so that there is sufficient time to assure a smooth placement process. For short-term applications please contact us.
- Individual project placement
- No application deadlines
- Flexible start and end dates
- Participation possible even without prior knowledge
- English-speaking in-country support
- Beautiful project location in a rural area
- Intensive intercultural exchange
There is full cultural integration in this volunteer project. It is important that the volunteers seek intensive contact with the teachers, parents and children so that the experience abroad is valuable, enriching and positive for everyone involved.
The volunteer work takes place in a small rural Montessori school in Curacavi, idyllically situated in a small town. There are no fixed classrooms but rooms and areas - inside and outside - that serve as study areas divided according to topic. The school is housed in a large building with a garden and green spaces. It is a great environment where children can learn, discover, explore, play, grow and develop together. About 35 boys and girls between the ages of 4 and 12 attend the school. The school staff consists of 10 motivated teachers and assistants.
The school year in Chile runs from the beginning of March to mid-December, followed by the long summer holidays, which last 2.5 months.
Curacavi is a municipality nestled between hills and valleys in the Melipilla province of central Chile. It is about the same distance to the beautiful Pacific coast as to the metropolis of Santiago de Chile. Curacaví is approximately 90 minutes from Chile's capital. The climate is Mediterranean with a prolonged dry season and high summer temperatures from October to March. In winter, temperatures drop and there is occasional rain.
The place is known for its traditional sweets and rich chicha (ferment from apples or grapes), as well as a wide variety of vegetables, flowers and fruits, many of which are exported to the US and Europe.
About 25,000 people live in Curacaví. It is a manageable, cozy small town - rural, lively, pintoresque!
The Program includes:
- Single room in a local homestay
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Advice from our experienced staff
- On-going support via WhatsApp, phone or mail
- Elaboration of your application profile in Spanish
- Your Volunteer Work placement
- Pre-departure information
- Packing list
- Country handbook
- Intercultural guide
- On-site volunteer coordinator
- 24/7 emergency number
- Advice on travel insurance
- Certificate of participation
minimum stay 6 weeks
each additional week
As add-on you can book:
Do not forget!
Get your travel insurance here: